Campbell Graves was born 1801 in TN, probably in Giles Co. He is thought
to have been a son of John Graves and Ann Campbell. Ann [Campbell]
Graves was daughter of Alexander Campbell and Amy Eaton, daughter of
John Eaton of Maryland.
Children of John Graves and Ann Campbell are thought to be;
1. Campbell Graves b 1801, died abt 30 July, 1865 Athens, Limestone
2. Adisa/Dicey Graves b Jan. 12, 1802, died Sept. 1840, married
3. Leonard H. Graves b 1806, died in MO after March 1866 married
Miss Wallace of AL and second Catherine B. Keith.
4. Alcie Graves b ca 1807, d Mar. 19, 1882, married Powell Perry.
5. Alexander Graves b 1808, married Martha H. Fuller.
6. John Mims Graves b Jan 13, 1812, Giles Co., TN d April 29, 1879
Maury Co TN., married Rosanna Collier.
7. and 8. children - not found yet.
Since so many early records of Giles Co were lost during fires and
the Civil War, there is no absolute proof that all of above children
were John and Ann's. Ann [Campbell] Graves was a widow in Giles Co
census in 1820 with 8 children still at home.
There is no proof that John was the husband of Ann Campbell as she
is only known to have married Mr. Graves. However, in 1811,Giles Co,
a deed conveying 500 acres from John Yancey to John Graves dated
March 15, 1811 is recorded; Giles Co. Roll 70, Book Vol. A,
pp 317-318 found at TN State Library Archives. His name was used in
the children of Ann Campbell Graves so he likely was her husband?
There is no mention of this John Graves near 1820 census time when
Ann was found to be a widow. Children of John Graves were given same
names that were used for the grandchildren for several generations
through the sons I have listed above. Some of these children carried
the name Crockett which was Ann Campbell's grandmother's name, Leticia
Crockett. Lack of a Bible in so many cases requires the family
historian to follow the obviously leads as outlined above.
Campbell Graves and his [unknown to me] first wife were my direct
ancestors. She died after the birth of her last child, Edwin
'Alexander' Graves ca 1844, and before the 1850 Giles Co census when
Campbell is listed with just his children . Children of Campbell and
his first wife were all born in Giles County and were;
1. Martha Graves b ca 1826, married Andrew Nichols. [her sister,
Alcy Caroline, was living in her household in 1850 census].
2. daughter, died infancy
3. Alcy 'Caroline' Graves b Dec. 1829,died April 28, 1920 Florence,
AL and buried at Bethel in Giles Co. She married Henry M.C.
Abernathy [my great grandparents] on December 25, 1852 Giles
Co. [Henry was son of Matthew Abernathy and Eliza J. Dickson].
4. William H. Graves b Sept. 1830 [in 1850 Giles Co census, at
age 20, he was living in household of Robert Dickson and wife
5. John Riley Graves b ca 1833, died Mar, 5, 1869 New Madrid, MO in
gun fight, married Amanda Anne Brown and Mary E. Morrow.
6. James Anselm Graves b 1834 married Mary Frances Brown
7. Elizabeth A. Graves b 1838, md Ezekiel Norris Rose
8. Crockett C. Graves b 1839
9. Joel L. Graves b 1842, wounded Confederate soldier, married
Margaret E. Allen.
10. Eva D. Graves b ca 1843 married Mr. Burchill. Lived MS
11. Edwin 'Alexander' Graves b ca 1844, d August 10, 1864?
Campbell married second shortly after 1850 census in Giles Co TN to
Mary ___. Their children were both born in Giles Co.
1. Ralph G. Graves b Oct. 3, 1851 d Oct. 25, 1912, Limestone Co AL,
married Permelia Emma Summers.
2. Mary C. Graves b ca 1853, lived in Limestone Co AL, married
Jonathan Henry Sides. Both of these children were minors when
Campbell was killed in July of 1866 in Limestone Co AL. He was
listed as a preacher. Campbell had his horse stolen from him
in Athens, AL. It was at the end of the Civil War with Yankees
having taken over the town. He went to them to file a complaint.
They accompanied him all over town to gather witnesses against
Mr. Moore who took his horse. A military trial sent Mr. Moore
to Nashville Prison for several years. The townspeople were
angry that Campbell took his problems to 'those Yankees'. The
following morning , Campbell was found lying in the street
with two bullet holes in his forehead. Limestone Co. AL Court
Records show Mr. A.L. McKinley administering Campbell's estate
and listed all his children and where they lived at that time
giving us the names of the spouses I have listed above for his
Leonard H. Graves born 1806 and his first wife, Miss Wallace, children;
1. William J. Graves b 1828 AL married Martha Eveline Inman.
2. possibly Alexander Mimos Graves- but not proven.
Children of William and Martha [Inman]Graves were;
1. Margaret Graves b 1847
2. John David Graves b Dec 29, 1848 Campbellsville, Giles Co TN
d 1924, Fannin Co TX, married Susan Hazel T. Cummings
3. Jackson Graves
4. Mary M. Graves b 1853, Giles Co. married Andrew Henry Brown
Children of John David Graves and Susan H.T. Cummings were;
1. John William Graves b April 7, 1873 Lawrence Co TN, md Jennie
Barbara Fields, lived in Fannin Co TX.
2. Mary H. Graves b ca 1870 Law Co TN, m William Ernest Hill
3. Martha J. Graves b 1874, md Robert W. Fox
4. Margaret V. Graves b Mar 18, 1876 Law Co TN , died Fannin Co TX
5. Luzanna A. Graves b ca 1878, d TX, married O.L. Young
6. Robert Graves b 1880 Law Co TN
7. Albert Ross Graves b Mar 22, 1882 Giles Co, d Dec 12, 1957
Roxton, Lamar Co TX, married Ruby Clair
8. ALEXANDER CAMPBELL Graves b March 1884 Giles Co TN, d June 7,
1912, Fannin Co TX, married Julia Irine Cathey.
9. Samuel D. Graves b Dec 1885 Giles Co TN, d Dallas, Dallas Co, TX.
Children of John William [Bud] Graves born April 7, 1873 and Jennie Barbara Fields were;
1. James Leonard Graves b May 27, 1897 married Easter Antham
2. JOHN CAMPBELL Graves b Nov 20, 1898, d Dec 10, 1921 Fannin Co TX
married Juanita James
3. Maudie Graves died age 16
4. Namon CAMPBELL Graves b Aug 8, 1903, married Vista Yarborough
5. Willie N. Graves b Feb 13, 1911, Fannin TX
6. Pauline Graves b July 16, 1912, Fannin Co TX married Jack Chaney
7. Dewey Lee Graves b Dec 3, 1914 Fannin Co TX married Edna
These children of Leonard H Graves and his first wife, Miss Wallace,
carried the Graves family names.
Leonard H. Graves and Catherine B. Keith's children, born in Giles Co. were;
1. Caroline Jane Graves married James Beckham
2. Henrietta Graves, died infancy
3. Nancy Catherine Graves b 1834, married William F. Brown, Conf. War
4. Newton B. Graves b ca 1835, d 1875
5. ALEXANDER Graves b 1837, married Petty
6. Martha Grave b 1839
7. Mary Graves b ca 1842 married John H. Brown
8. David A. Graves b 1844
Hopefully, some of Giles Countian Researchers will recognize some of these
Graves family members and be able to further our climb up this elusive
Graves tree. The connection between John Graves and John Yancey leads one
to consider John Graves came from Caswell Co NC.